Mumbai and Delhi airports are two major points of entry for the limited international flights that are being operated as of now.
And, it’s been a while since scheduled domestic flights have resumed at these main airports in the country.
As airports are the main runway to enter into the country, the govt has been focusing on keeping all airport activities safe with the well-being of passengers and employees.
While the worldwide call is currently “Stay Home, Stay Safe” there may be a number of reasons why people are traveling on either domestic flights or limited international flights (or both) during the pandemic.
You may also be wondering what rules should be followed when entering India via Mumbai and Delhi airports.
So, we have accumulated all the official releases from the relevant authorities on the matter, so you can “Fly Safe and Stay Safe”.
The Delhi airport’s Twitter handle tweeted its quarantine and other arrival related rules.
Here are the mandatory quarantine guidelines for passengers arriving via or departing from Delhi Airport:
Passengers arriving at Delhi Airport by International flight with no onward connection
- As per the government mandate, all passengers arriving by international flight at Delhi Airport must undergo a 7-day institutional quarantine at their own cost.
- An undertaking that passengers accept this obligation is signed by the individual or head of the family and retained by the overseas mission/embassy before the booking is confirmed.
- This 7-day institutional quarantine will be followed by 7 days of home quarantine.
- In case you are planning to stay on in Delhi NCR (National Capital Region, ie. satellite towns of the national capital such as Ghaziabad, Gurugram/Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad etc), you will have to undergo the mandatory health screening which includes a primary screening by Airport Health Officials (APHO). This includes thermal temperature screening by discreetly mounted, highly accurate, mass screening cameras
Health Status Declaration form:
- Health self-declaration forms must be filled in duplicate by all passengers.
- These forms will be collected on arrival.
- To save time, please complete the forms whilst onboard the flight.
- You will also be required to undergo a secondary screening at the Delhi Government post (at the airport) after which you will be allowed to proceed to the approved quarantine location.
- The State Health officials from States of UP/Punjab/Haryana/Rajasthan & Uttarakhand are positioned at the separate Triage facilities created at Meeters & Greeters area and passengers belonging to (or headed to) locations that fall in these states should report directly at the respective State posts. Passengers upon arriving at the first airport of disembarkation in India are advised to be quarantined at the city of arrival.
Are you seeking exemption from quarantine?
- Passengers seeking exemption will need to file an exemption form and discuss their case with Government officials (in the “meet and greet” corridor) inside the terminal on arrival.
- If exemption from quarantine in Delhi is approved and their final destination is another state they must make arrangements for quarantine on arrival in the respective state with Government officials.
- Check here if you are eligible for exemption from mandatory quarantine:
At Delhi Airport passengers may be considered for exemption only if they fall into one of the four exemption categories mention below. Airlines may also notify passengers at time of reservation that the receiving Indian State Government(s) may authorize exemptions from institutional quarantine for four specific categories on a case by case basis:
- Pregnant women
- Suffered a death in the family
- Suffering from any serious illness (Description to be provided)
- Parents accompanied by children below 10 years
An undertaking form is also required to be completed and emailed to [email protected]. Documents required to be sent as attachments for consideration of exemption requests:
- Medical certificate
- Death certificate
- Copy of Passport
- Ticket for next flights
Quarantine guidelines for domestic passengers arriving/transit at Delhi Airport as of July 22
- Upon arrival at Delhi Airport, all domestic passengers have to undergo mandatory thermal screening, which is done after baggage reclaim as you head towards the exit gates. To ensure an accurate reading is taken please lift any plastic face shield, but continue to wear your face mask. Only asymptomatic passengers (those with no symptoms) will be permitted to exit the airport and shall home quarantine themselves for 7 days.
- For transit passengers having further flights, they can go through the Domestic flight transfer area or move up to the departures check-in level, while re-entering the airport they will have to go through mandatory temperature check at the departures entry gate before their next flight. The symptomatic passengers will be isolated and sent to the containment zone next to the terminal building escorted by the respective airline officials. They will be further sent to Hospital/Medical centres for COVID-19 checks /treatment as per Government guidelines.
- Passengers arriving on an international Vande Bharat Mission flight may only take a connecting domestic flight if it also comes under the Vande Bharat Mission. However, passengers who are planning to board onward domestic flights will have to obtain an authorised exemption certificate, if they are coming through Non-Vande Bharat international flights. All international arriving passengers have to undergo mandatory health screening process.
- The Vande Bharat Mission was launched on 7th May 2020 as a repatriation exercise by Govt. of India. Under this mission, Indian nationals who are stranded overseas are brought back and foreign nationals and NRIs who are stuck in India are repatriated to their countries. Flight bookings for Mission Vande Bharat are available for Indian nationals who have completed their mandatory registration with the respective embassies.
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) on Aug 1, has tweeted the latest quarantine rules for international and domestic arrivals.
- Thermal screening shall be done for all passengers
Quarantine International Passengers:
- 07 days of Institutional Quarantine followed by 07 days of Home Quarantine Domestic Passengers:
- 14 days of Home Quarantine
Exception to Quarantine:
- All domestic passengers intending to exit Mumbai within 7 days of the arrival shall be exempted from quarantine, provided they are able to produce a confirmed ticket for onward/return journey
- All passengers must download Aarogya Setu App
- Passengers intending to exit Mumbai within 7 days of the arrival should be able to produce a confirmed ticket for onward/return journey to get quarantine exemption
- Detailed list of arriving passengers with arrival flight, time, mobile number & residential address to be shared with Nodal officer
- Thermal screening shall be done for all passengers
- Put a quarantine stamp on left hand of the passenger.
WHAT ARE THE QUARANTINE NORMS FOLLOWED IN MUMBAI?
For all passengers disembarking at Mumbai airport need to go through the quarantine procedure.
Mandatory 14 days of quarantine:
- 7 days paid institutional quarantine at passengers’ own cost, followed by 7 days of isolation at home with self-monitoring of health.
- Mandatory stamp on left hand for identification and compulsory home isolation for a period of 14 days, post which they shall be advised to self-monitor their health.
- Passengers visiting the state for less than a week are exempted from isolation provided they share the details of their onward/return journey from the state.
Disclaimer: Passengers are advised to refer to the respective state guidelines for more information.