Recently, the Govt of New Zealand has announced that it will reopen the international border in stages for eligible travellers to enter the country.
As per the announcement made; the country will be reopened in three phases and completely reopen its borders for fully vaccinated travellers by 11:59 pm 31 July 2022.
New Zealand’s Borders Reopen Plan
New Zealand’s borders are reopening throughout 2022.
1. Vaccinated travellers arriving under the Accredited Employer Work Visa category can apply to enter New Zealand from 4 July 2022.
The following vaccinated people can apply to enter New Zealand and self-test on arrival:
- Travellers arriving under the Accredited Employer Work Visa categories
- Travellers applying for a Work Visa in New Zealand
2. New Zealand’s border is reopening to all tourists and visa holders from 11:59 pm 31 July 2022.
- From 11:59 pm Sunday 31 July, all visa categories including visitor and student visas will reopen for applications for travellers from anywhere in the world.
- You must be vaccinated to enter New Zealand, and have evidence of a negative COVID-19 test before your first international flight.
3. Cruise ships can enter New Zealand from 31 July 2022, with the opening of the maritime border.
Travellers will still need to meet all health requirements to enter New Zealand, including vaccination requirements and providing proof of a negative pre-departure test.
Pre-departure tests to enter New Zealand
Pre-departure testing requirements currently apply until 31 July 2022. Most travellers must have a negative COVID-19 test to enter New Zealand. Find out more about New Zealand’s pre-departure testing requirements.
The Government has confirmed they expect to remove pre-departure testing requirements no later than 31 July 2022.
We recommend you to check if you need a pre-departure test at least a week before your international flight to New Zealand, in case testing requirements have changed.
Who can enter New Zealand now
The following people can enter New Zealand now from anywhere in the world and self-test on arrival.
- Vaccinated and unvaccinated New Zealand citizens
- Vaccinated and unvaccinated New Zealand residents
- Vaccinated Australian citizens and permanent residents
- Unvaccinated Australian citizens who live in New Zealand
- Current temporary work and student visa holders, with a valid visa who can still meet their visa requirements. This includes both visa holders currently offshore, and those in New Zealand who choose to travel overseas and wish to return
- Up to 5,000 international students, for semester 2
- Vaccinated travellers with a border exception
- Vaccinated travellers on a working holiday scheme
- Vaccinated travellers from countries who do not need a visa (visa waiver visitors)
- Vaccinated travellers from other countries who already hold a valid visitor visa
- Other vaccinated eligible travellers under current border settings