The Ministry of Home Affairs announced today that all metro rail services and inter-state passenger transport will be suspended till March 31st 2020 amid coronavirus pandemic.
It added that the state governments have been asked to issue orders allowing only essential services to operate in 75 districts with confirmed coronavirus cases. Earlier, Indian Railways had cancelled all passenger trains till March 31.
Cabinet Secretary reviews #Covid_19india status with State Chief Secretaries. Imp decisions taken to check the #CoronaVirusOutbreak include suspension of movement of all passenger trains, metro trains and inter state passenger transport till 31st March 2020.— Spokesperson, Ministry of Home Affairs (@PIBHomeAffairs) March 22, 2020
Details 👇 pic.twitter.com/Hr7bX9WkB0
- A high-level meeting was held today morning with Chief Secretaries of all the States by the Cabinet Secretary and the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister.
- All the Chief Secretaries informed that there is an overwhelming and spontaneous response to the call for Janta Curfew given by the Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- In view of the need to contain the spread of COVID 19, it was agreed that there is an urgent need to extend the restrictions on the movement of non-essential passenger transport including inter-state transport buses till 31st March 2020.
- Following detailed discussions, the State Governments were advised to issue appropriate orders to allow only essential services to operate in the 75 districts which have reported confirmed cases or casualties relating to COVID 19. The State Governments may expand the list depending on their assessment of the situation. It was noted that several State Governments have already issued orders in this regard.
- All train services suspended till 31st March 2020 including suburban rail services. However, goods trains are exempted.
- All metro rail services suspended till 31st March 2020. State Governments to issue orders allowing only essential services to operate in about 75 districts with confirmed COVID 19 cases.
- Inter-State passenger transport also to be suspended till 31st March 2020.
To get travel updates directly on your mobile, save and send a message at 9461777617 on Whatsapp to start.