As per government sources, Air India One (AI-160) VIP aircraft are arriving at Delhi International Airport today.
The redesigned VIP aircraft will be used exclusively for the President, Vice President and Prime Minister.
The aircraft is equipped with an advanced and secure communication system that allows the audio and video communication function to be used in the air without being hacked or recorded.
The plane flew non-stop 13,000 km from Texas to Delhi and will land in Delhi around 3pm.
The aircraft, which is manufactured at Boeing’s Dallas, US facility, is retrofitted with advanced military defense systems and a newly configured cabin.
Due to its military nature, the aircraft was only modified after a nod of approval from the US State Department.
The new aircraft will feature advanced defense systems similar to those of Air Force One, considered the safest aircraft in the world and used by the President of the United States.
Features of the new Air India One (AI-160)
- The Boeing 777-300ER will replace the earlier 747-400 that has been used for VVIP duties for the past 25 years.
- The aircraft is part of a larger delivery contract that Boeing placed in 2006. It was delivered in 2018 but was sent back to Boeing for the upgrade and retrofit work.
- The aircraft has two GE90-115 engines, a variant of the engine for the -300ER. It can fly at 900 km/h.
- Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCM) and Self Protection Suites (SPS) are other systems in the aircraft that protect the aircraft if it is damaged in the air.
- Additional functions include Advanced Electronic Warfare Suites, with which the aircraft can not only repel an attack, but also take countermeasures in the event of an attack.