Nine months after the coronavirus pandemic, the Meghalaya government is all set to reopen the state for all tourists from December 21.
“We are reopening #Tourism in #Meghalaya for tourists from outside the State from 21st December 2020. The #HomeOfClouds looks forward to welcoming you” tweeted Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma on Friday.
We are reopening #Tourism in #Meghalaya for tourists from outside the State from 21st Dec, 2020. To ensure the safety of everyone, registration through the @meghtourism app is made mandatory & SOPs are put in place— Conrad Sangma (@SangmaConrad) December 7, 2020
The #HomeOfClouds looks forward to welcoming you@prahladspatel pic.twitter.com/XfICeoM0Bu
Meghalaya, a state in northeastern India is a popular tourist destination and sees visitors throughout the year, particularly during the summer.
The tourism sector — which has been steadily growing in the past decade — took a hit through last year, first, with the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protests in December 2019, followed by violence related to the Inner Line Permit-demand in February, and then the Covid-19 pandemic in March.
CM Sangma added that it would be mandatory for the tourists to download the Meghalaya Tourism app and follow SOPs put in place by the government.
Here are the detailed guidelines/SOPs shared by the government of Meghalaya for tourists
1. Download the Meghalaya Tourism app and register yourself to issue your e-Invite or contact a registered tour operator who can register on your behalf. The service of registered tour operators can be found on the Meghalaya Tourism app and website.
2. After registering, upload your photo ID on the app.
3. You are also required to provide your complete itinerary for the visit and show a confirmed booking (Hotel/Guest House/Homestay) for at least the first two nights.
4. If you’re staying as a guest of any family or friend in Meghalaya, then you shall declare the full address and contact details of the family or friend and the complete itinerary, for the e-Invite to be generated.
5. Once you complete the above, you will receive an e-Invite that should be presented at the entry checkpoints along with a COVID negative certificate.
6. For any query, send a WhatsApp or text message at 8132011037 between 10 am – 8 pm on working days.