The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) informed that India and has now signed an air bubble agreement with Russia, the pact comes into effect from 12th Feb 2020.
As per the bubble agreement, Indian and Russian carriers are now permitted to operate flights between India and Russia and carry the following categories of persons on such flights.
India-Russia Air Bubble Agreement
From India to Russia:
- Stranded nationals/residents of Russia;
- Any Indian national or national of Nepal or Bhutan destined for and holding a valid visa of Russia. It would be for the airlines concerned to ensure that there is no travel restriction for Indian/Nepalese/Bhutanese nationals to enter the destination country before the issue of ticket/boarding pass to the Indian/Nepalese/ Bhutanese passenger; and
- Seamen of foreign nationalities and Seamen holding Indian passports would be allowed subject to clearance from the Ministry of Shipping. Seamen should be destined for Russia only.
From Russia to India:
- Indian nationals or nationals of Nepal or Bhutan stranded in Russia;
- All Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders and Person of Indian Origin(PIO) cardholders holding passports of any country;
- Russian nationals intending to visit India for any purpose (including their dependents on the appropriate category of dependent visa) except those on Tourist Visa; and
- Seamen from countries of Russia.
Passengers traveling on flights from India to Russia should be destined for Russia only. Similarly, only passengers originating from Russia should be allowed to travel on the flights from Russia to India.
The crisis center of Russia has also announced that Russia has decided to resume flights operation with twice a week frequency between Moscow and New Delhi.
Moreover, the Russian embassy has also started issuing new visas for all categories of Indian citizens who are planning to visit the country by air, as well as to those possessing a residence permit.
With this, India now has an air bubble agreement with 25 countries namely, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Canada, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Iraq, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Maldives, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Ukraine, and United States of America.