The whole world has faced a backslash since the outbreak of Covid-19 and the worst affected industry is the travel industry on the global stage. As many countries managed to control the contagion, some started opening their borders only to retighten restrictions as the new strain came into the picture.
To reinforce the confidence of the passengers in prospective travel some of the airlines in recent times took up the torch by taking what can be called one of the most comprehensive steps by pledging to offer free covid-19 travel insurance to its passengers. These airlines offer to cover the complete medical and quarantine costs if a passenger contracts Covid-19 after flying with them.
It all started in August with Virgin Atlantic signing up for this major Covid-19 policy, Air Canada and Etihad joined the pack in early September and Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines are the recent ones to follow in the footsteps.
Free COVID-19 Travel Insurance!
In This Article
1. Air Canada
Effective December 1, 2020, Air Canada passengers will receive complimentary Manulife COVID-19 Emergency Medical and Quarantine Insurance underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife).
This Manulife COVID-19 Insurance covers eligible Canadian residents, who are Aeroplan Members, when travelling internationally on a booking made with Air Canada, for travel completed by April 12, 2021. Manulife coverage will be automatically included if eligible when booking is purchased, or flight is redeemed. There are no registration forms to complete and premiums are paid for by Air Canada.
Eligibility Criteria For Air Canada’s Free COVID-19 Insurance
- All passengers on new international round-trip bookings made from December 1, 2020 until January 31, 2021 inclusively, for travel completed by April 12, 2021.
- Passenger must be a Canadian resident with a valid provincial or territory government health insurance plan for the duration of the trip.
- Each passenger on a booking must be an Aeroplan Member and have a unique Aeroplan number
- Bookings must be ticketed by Air Canada on a new Air Canada ticket (code 014) issued between December 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021, which include at least one Air Canada flight.
- The duration of your trip outside Canada needs to be 21 days or less
- Travel must originate in Canada to any international destination (USA included) for which there is no Level-4 “avoid all travel” advisory in effect issued by the Canadian government at time of departure.
- There is no age restriction to be eligible for this coverage.
- Passenger must not be advised by a physician not to travel.
|Medical Coverage after a COVID-19 positive test result in destination||Up to $200,000 CDN per insured|
|Quarantine expenses after a COVID-19 positive test result, denied entry or contact tracing in destination||$150/day up to $2100 per person, or $300/day up to $4200 per family (Maximum duration of 14 days)|
|Emergency Air Transport to return you home||Included in $200,000 per insured|
|Repatriation due to death||Up to policy limits as outlined in the certificate of insurance|
|Level 3 Travel Advisory upgraded to Level 4 Travel Advisory by Canadian Government||Up to a combined $500 per person for: *return airfare* meals and accommodations|
2. Cathay Pacific
The Cathay Pacific’s free COVID-19 insurance is automatically applied to trips commenced between 7 December 2020 and 28 February 2021.
Coverage applies to anyone with air tickets issued by Cathay Pacific – this can be on flights operated by Cathay Pacific or by one of our codeshare or interline partners. You are not required to fill out any application forms before you fly.
This coverage is provided by AXA. If you have inquiries or are diagnosed with COVID-19 during your travels, you may contact AXA for assistance.
Passengers will get the following benefits
- Medical and hospitalization: We’ll cover specific COVID-19 PCR tests and hospitalization, if it becomes necessary.
- Quarantine Costs: You’ll receive an allowance to help you quarantine.
- Evacuation And Repatriation: We’ll get you and a travel companion home. Travelling with kids? We’ll get them home too.
- 24/7 Emergency Hotline: We’re with you every step of the way: just call AXA’s 24/7 Emergency Assistance hotline on +852 2863 5785 or send a WhatsApp message to +852 2863 5784.
Etihad’s COVID-19 global wellness insurance cover is an extension to your travel insurance, giving you extra peace of mind as you travel the world. If you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 whilst you’re away, we’ll take care of your medical expenses and quarantine costs. No stress, no hassle. Simple.
If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 whilst you’re away, please contact Etihad’s COVID-19 Assistance Team as soon as possible. This is really important as you will not be reimbursed for any services that have not been organized by Etihad COVID-19 Assistance. Please note you will not be covered for the cost of PCR tests.
- For English, Call: +971 45074007
- For Arabic, Call: +971 45074002
There’s no need to complete any forms, we’ll simply do the rest for you. Information or assistance relating to Etihad COVID 19 Assistance is not available through our Contact Centre.
4. Japan Airlines
All customers on JAL international flights are eligible for JAL Covid-19 Cover which provides complimentary support in case of COVID-19 infection.
The new service provided by Allianz Travel—the first of its kind for a Japanese carrier—includes coverage of up to €150,000 in total medical costs resulting from the initial COVID-19 testing fee and subsequent medical treatment for those that test positive during their travels.
Additional coverage for isolation costs and repatriation is also included for those requiring such after a positive diagnosis.
A global 24-hour support line in English and Japanese will also be available to assist customers exhibiting symptoms, providing further peace of mind throughout their journey. Services related to the coverage will be offered from December 23, 2020.
5. Virgin Atlantic
Virgin Atlantic is offering Free Covid-19 cover to all passengers on every existing booking, as well as new bookings, made for travel between 24th August 2020 and 30th April 2021.
With the free Coronavirus cover available to all passengers, Virgin Atlantic help take care of the health and quarantine costs that arise, should you fall ill or experience difficulties due to Coronavirus.
This cover will ensure you are protected for Coronavirus, which will work in parallel with any existing travel insurance you may have in place making sure you can book your adventure or business trip with confidence.
The benefits of Virgin Atlantic’s free Covid-19 cover;
For any flight or holiday booked using a Virgin Atlantic ticket, for travel between 24th August 2020 and 30th April 2021*,
You will get cover for
- Up to £500,000 necessary and emergency medical expenses incurred due to Coronavirus affecting you or your travel companions.
- Repatriation due to Coronavirus, should it be medically necessary.
- Denied Boarding/Quarantine – We will cover many necessary additional costs should you or your travelling companion be denied boarding or individually requested to quarantine in your destination due to Coronavirus, including personal accommodation, transport charges, refreshments, booking amendment fees and other travel expenses incurred.
- Cover for your whole trip, with no upper limit on the length of your time away.
- Cover for all passengers with no restrictions on age, travel class or length of journey.
- There is no excess payable with this policy (unlike other traditional travel insurance policies).
- Terms and Conditions apply and is subject to exclusions based on the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office advice (for UK residents) at the time of travel. For non-UK residents, you will be subject to your home country’s government advice
*cover ends after 30th April 2021, irrespective of which point in the journey has been reached
During this pandemic when travel has hit the rock bottom, airlines struggle to fill their flights and see huge fluctuation in the booking numbers. By offering travel insurance, these airlines are walking an extra mile and trying to ensure safe, happy, and hassle-free travel with extra peace of mind for their flyers.
“The safety, health and well being of our guests and employees is our top priority, during and beyond the flight,” says the Senior Vice President Sales and Distribution of Etihad Airways. “This additional cover will not only instill confidence to travel but also reassure our guests that we are doing all we can to keep them safe and protected.”
Also Read: List Of The World’s Best Airlines