There is something so mysteriously magical about the hills which give us a sense of peace, calmness, and contentment as soon as we set a foot in. And when these hills cloak themselves in a snow blanket, that sight is no less than a paradise. The cool breeze, the scent of the mist, snowflakes touching your face, and the serene atmosphere make the hills the best places one can go in winter.
The northern and the eastern region of India is full of such magical destinations which remain a tourist attraction all year round but the months of December to February are just unparalleled. We know you are excited enough now, so while you pack your bags we have got a great handpicked list of the best places for you to see snowfall.
Here is a list of The Best Places To See Snowfall In India
1. Auli, Uttarakhand
The skiing capital of India, Auli is one of the best places in India to see snowfall. It is surrounded by the coniferous forest, Nanda Devi mountains, and the breathtaking views of the Himalayas. Oak and the deodar trees covered in the snow will give you the perfect picturesque view while skiing satisfying your adrenaline rush.
- How to reach Auli: Dehradun is the nearest airport at a distance of 149 km. Rishikesh is the nearest railway station at a distance of 230 km. Auli is easily accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Auli: Chattrakund, Gorson Bugyal, Auli artificial lake, Trishul peak, Joshimath, Auli ropeway
- What to do in Auli: Skiing, Camping, Hiking, Trekking, Take the ropeway ride, Bird watching, Stroll around the lakes, Shop at local market
- Main delicacies of Auli: Garhwali cuisine, Kachmauli, Bal mithai, Singhori
- Average temperature of Auli from December to February: -2 degree Celsius
2. North Sikkim
If you are brave enough to face a few harsh winter conditions then North Sikkim is the perfect destination for you. It is home to plenty of lakes and waterfalls and remains snow-covered almost throughout the year. But trust us, the most stunning views here will be worthy of all your sweat.
- How to reach North Sikkim: Bagdogra is the nearest airport at a distance of 125 km. Siliguri is the nearest railway station at a distance of 146 km. North Sikkim is accessible by road.
- Main attractions of North Sikkim: Lachung, Yumthang, Lachen, Gurudongmar Lake, Tsomgo Lake, Phodong Monastery, Seven sister waterfall, Mt. Katao
- What to do in North Sikkim: Trekking, Hiking, Road trips, Explore the waterfalls, Stroll around lakes, Shop at local markets, Skiing in Yumthang valley
- Main delicacies of North Sikkim: Phagshapa, Chaang, Kodo ki roti, Sael roti, Kinema curry, Gundruk, Sinki, Chhurpi, Momos
- Average temperature of North Sikkim from December to February: -5 degree Celsius
3. Gulmarg and Sonmarg, Jammu and Kashmir
Located in the heaven on the earth, Kashmir, Gulmarg, and Sonmarg are probably the best places in India to see snowfall. The backdrop of the snow-clad mountains, pine trees covered with snow, enchanting valleys, lakes, and a lot more will give you a lifetime experience that you will never ever forget.
- How to reach Gulmarg and Sonmarg: The distance between Gulmarg and Sonmarg is 124 km. Srinagar is the nearest airport at a distance of 56 km from Gulmarg and 70 km from Sonmarg. Jammu is the nearest railway station at a distance of 290 km from Gulmarg and 369 km from Sonmarg. Gulmarg and Sonmarg, both are accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Gulmarg and Sonmarg: Gulmarg gondola, Khilanmarg, Thajiwas glacier, Vishansar lake, Zoji la, Baltal valley
- What to do in Gulamrg and Sonmarg: Trekking, Gondola ride, Hiking, River rafting, Skiing, Visit the lakes
- Main delicacies of Gulmarg and Sonmarg: Rogan josh, Yogurt lamb curry, Paneer chaman, Kashmiri saag, Dum aloo, Haak, Yakhni
- Average temperature of Gulmarg and Sonmarg from December to February: -4 degree Celsius
4. Manali, Himachal Pradesh
One of the most visited snow places in India, Manali is flocked with tourists every year but still never loses its charm. The lush meadows, crystal clear lakes and rivers, open blue sky, the beautiful misty atmosphere, and the slow clad mountains will give you moments to cherish forever.
- How to reach Manali: Kullu Manali airport is the nearest airport at a distance of 50 km. Pathankot is the nearest railway station at a distance of 290 km. Manali is easily accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Manali: Hadimba Devi Temple, Mall road, Jogini falls, Rohtang pass, Bhrigu lake, Solang Nala, Van vihar, Hampta pass, Chandratal lake
- What to do in Manali: Skiing, Ice skating, Paragliding, Camoing, River rafting, Trekking, Hiking, Shop at the local market, Mountain biking
- Main delicacies of Manali: Sidu, Khatta, Babru, Patande, Bhey, Aktori, Chana Madra, Chha Gosht, Red rice
- Average temperature of Manali from December to February: 3 degree Celsius
5. Lava, West Bengal
If you are looking for a secluded place with snow and less crowd then head right away to Lava. Totally opposite to its name it is one of the best places to see experience snowfall. It is less explored but a pristine paradise with an enchanting view of Mt. Kanchenjunga.
- How to reach Lava: Bagdogra is the nearest airport at a distance of 117 km. New Jalpaiguri is the nearest railway station at a distance of 110 km. Lava is easily accessible by road.
- Main attraction of Lava: Rishyap, Neora valley national park, Kagyu Thekchen ling monastery
- What to do in Lava: Spend peaceful time at monasteries, Hiking, Skiing, Snowboarding
- Main delicacies of Lava: Momos, Thukpa, Churpee, Bengali and Tibetan cuisine
- Average temperature of Lava from December to February: 2 degree Celsius
6. Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Home to one of the biggest and 400 years old monastery, Tawang is an amalgamation of one of the best places for snow and peace. The hulking snow-clad mountains, shimmering lakes, stunning waterfalls and a lot more gives you a feel that the place is literally a piece of heaven.
- How to reach Tawang: Salonibari Airport in Tezpur is the nearest airport and Tezpur railway station is the nearest railway station at a distance of 317 km. Tawang is accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Tawang: Sela Pass, Tawang monastery, Nuranang falls, Madhuri lake, Tawang war memorial, Gorichen peak, Tso lake, Taktsang Gompa
- What to do in Tawang: Hiking, Meditate at Gompas, shop at the local market, Trekking, Visit the monasteries, Explore Tibetan culture
- Main delicacies of Tawang: Momos, Thukpa, Monpa cuisine, Zan, Khura, Gyapa Khazi
- Average temperature of Tawang from December to February: -7 degree Celsius
7. Khajjiar, Himachal Pradesh
Popularly known as the Switzerland of India or Mini Switzerland, need we say anything more about Khajjiar or it is by default one of the best places to experience the snow in India.
- How to reach Khajjiar: Gaggal airport in Dharamsala is the nearest airport at a distance of 122 km. Pathankot is the nearest railway station at a distance of 118 km. Khajjiar is easily accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Khajjiar: Kalatop wildlife sanctuary, Khajjiar lake, Dainkund peak, Khajji Nag temple
- What to do in Khajjiar: Paragliding, Adventure sports, Sightseeing, Trekking, Explore the Kalatop forest, Hiking
- Main delicacies of Khajjiar: Gucchi matta, Kaddu ka khatta, Sepu vadi
- Average temperature of Khajjiar from December to February: 4 degree Celsius
Well, who does not know Ladakh? It is one of those places which is on every traveler’s bucket list. The arid landscape covered with snow all around is a sight to behold along with the frozen rivers and lakes. It receives quite a heavy snowfall making it one of the best places to see snowfall in India.
- How to reach Ladakh: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport in Leh is the nearest airport. The best way to reach Ladakh by road by Manali-Leh highway or Srinagar-Leh highway.
- Main attractions of Ladakh: Pangong lake, Thiksey monastery, Zanskar river, Khardung la pass, Nubra valley
- What to do in Ladakh: Road trip, Hiking, Walk on the frozen river, Visit the monasteries, Meditate at gompas, Explore the local culture, Shop at the local markets
- Main delicacies of Ladakh: Momos, Thukpa, Skyu, Chhutagi, Tingmo, Chhurpe, Butter tea, Kahwa, Chhang
- Temperature range of Ladakh from December to February: -7 degree Celsius
9. Munsiyari, Uttarakhand
Given the tagline of “Little Kashmir”, Munsiyari literally means “place with snow”. It is one of the best places to see snowfall with an awe-inspiring beauty comprising forests showered with pearl white dust, pristine lakes, astonishing views, and tranquil surroundings.
- How to reach Munsiyari: Dehradun is the nearest airport at a distance of 214 km. Kathgodam is the nearest railway station at a distance of 275 km. Munsiyari is accessible by road.
- Main attractions of Munsiyari: Tribal heritage museum, Thamri Kund, Betuli Dhar, Kalamuni, Khaliya top, Thamri taal, Panchchuli peaks, Birthi falls, Darkot, Madkot
- What to do in Munsiyari: Sightseeing, Explore the natural untouched beauty, Trekking, Winter sports
- Main delicacies of Munsiyari: Kumaoni cuisine, Churkhani, Dubke, Mutton, Soyabean dishes, Gahat, Bhatt
- Average temperature of Munsiyari from December to February: -2 degree Celsius
10. Chadar Trek, Ladakh
If you wish to go experience snow but are also brave and an adventure junkie then heads to the Chadar trek which happens only in the winters to satisfy your adrenaline rush. Once untouched but now one of the most popular and challenging offbeat treks of around 9 days because of the extreme conditions of -30 °C to -40 °C, it offers you to walk on a thick blanket meaning Chadar of ice on the frozen Zanskar river along with the surreal beauty of the icy world, frozen waterfalls, the muted sound of waters, and a lot more but the sense of accomplishment at the end will be out of the world.
- How to reach Chadar Trek: You have to first arrive to Leh to participate in the trek and then the journey starts from there.
- Main attractions of Chadar Trek: The complete trek is something you must do at least once in your life.
- What to do in Chadar Trek: Feel the beauty of the nature up close and treat your soul.
- Main delicacies of Chadar Trek: Whatever the best thing you can carry with yourself.
- Average temperature of Chadar Trek from December to February: -20 degree Celsius
So where are you heading to treat your soul with view alike paradise?
North Sikkim, Sonmarg, Gulmarg are some of the places in India where you can find snow all year round.
Auli and Manali, both are beautiful in their own ways. If you are seeking adventure or winter sports then Auli is better and if you want to spend some peaceful time and go sightseeing then Manali is one of the best places.
1. Aomori, Japan (7.92m)
2. Sapporo, Japan (4.85m)
3. Toyama, Japan (3.63m)
4. St John’s, Canada (3.32m)
5. Syracuse, US (3.15m)
6. Quebec City, Canada (3.15m)
7. Saguenay, Canada (3.12m)
8. Akita, Japan (2.72m)
9. Rochester, US (2.51m)
10. Buffalo, US (2.41m)
Dras, often referred to as the Gateway of Ladakh is the coldest place in India and often proclaimed as second to the coldest place inhabited on Earth.
Also Read: Top 10 Most Popular Hills of India